Function / Purpose: Both monopolar and bipolar radio frequency are used for tissue tightening. Their effects are somewhat complementary because they deliver energy in different patterns and to different depth. Combining monopolar and bipolar radio frequency allows to reduce the required intensity of each and thus minimize side effects and possibly increase effectiveness (as compared to each type of radio frequency used alone). The combination of monopolar and bipolar radiof requency has been used for skin tightening, facial contouring, body sculpting and cellulite reduction. DIY (home use) versions of radio frequency devices have been introduced but their effectiveness, if any, remains unclear.
Details: Monopolar and bipolar radio frequency (RF) are the modes in which radio frequency can be used in medicine and cosmetics. They can also be used in combination. (See our overview of radiofrequency treatments). As far as cosmetic rejuvenation is concerned, monopolar and bipolar radio frequency treatments appear somewhat complimentary.
Monopolar RF heats tissue in the treated area rather deeply (usually up to 20 mm) and thus affects both the skin and subcutaneous fat. Bipolar RF heats tissue in the treated area less deeply (usually up to 2-4 mm) and thus primarily affects the skin. The patterns of energy distribution also differ. Whether simultaneous treatment with both types of RF is additive, synergistic or otherwise in not entirely clear and needs further research. The manufacturers of monopolar+bipolar devices believe that such combination is synergistic and allows to reduce the required intensity of each and thus minimize side effects and possibly increase effectiveness.
Radio Frequency Benefits
- Treatment is not painful -TriPollar RF technology focuses the RF energy right where it is needed requiring much lower energy than other RF technologies, thus avoiding the associated pain for the client.
- Treatment of both superficial and deeper fat layers – The TriPollar RF technology uses sophisticated algorithms to control the treatment electrodes varying the current and polarity to achieve variable energy focus in different fat layers resulting in visible clinical results from the first treatment.
- Selective heating of fat tissue – The TriPollar RF technology directs energy selectively to fat tissue avoiding heating to other tissues thus achieving better clinical results.
- No cooling of skin or applicator is needed – The TriPollar RF configuration and sophisticated control algorithm eliminates the need for skin and applicator cooling resulting in more efficient treatment and requires less treatment sessions.
- Fewer treatment sessions -TriPollar RF technology delivers focused energy achieving better and faster results.
- Light technology not required – applicable for all skin types and colors.